Batur Temple Bali and Batur Lake Bali (Pura Ulun Danu Batur Bali)
Batur Temple Bali or Pura Ulun Danu Batur Bali is a voyage of about 2 ½ hours from Kuta, in Kalanganyar Village, Kintamani district, in the eastern highlands.
Pura Ulun Danu Batur is dedicated to the goddess Ida Batari Dewi Ulun Danu which has as another nice legend behind it.
A long time ago, Shiva (destroyer god) climbed up Mount Mahameru in India and divided it into two parts. She kept two stones and created two mountains out of it in Bali, Mount Agung and Mount Batur. Both of them became a residence for her children. From that time on her son Putranjaya sits enthroned on Mount Agung and her daughter Dewi Ulun Danu lives on Mount Batur.
Batur Temple, at its original location was at the southwestern slopes of Mount Batur, it was nearly completely destroyed by Mount Batur’s two heavy eruptions in 1917 and 1926. Batur Village was completely destroyed, thousands of people died and the complete area was ruined. Apart from the most important shrine, an 11 roofed Meru, nothing else survived. In 1927 Local Villages decided to rebuild the Temple in a higher area. Batur Temple is a temple complex that consists of 9 temples with a total of 285 shrines.
- Pura Penataran Agung Batur, the principal temple
- Penataran Pura Jati
- Pura Tirta Bungkah
- Pura Taman Sari
- Pura Tirta Mas Mampeh
- Pura Sampian Wangi
- Pura Gunarali
- Pura Padang Sila
- Pura Tuluk Biyu
Bali's 9 key directional temples are:
- Purah Besakih (Mother Temple), located on the western slopes of Gunung Agung in East Bali
- Pura Lempuyang (Lempuyang Temple), located on the slopes of Gunung Lempuyang, near Amlapura in East Balii
- Pura Luhur Batukaru (Batukaru Temple), located on the southern slopes of Gunung Batukaru in Central Bali
- Pura Luhur Uluwatu (Uluwatu Temple), located on the western end of the Bukit Peninsula
- Pura Ulun Danu Batur (Batur Temple), located at Kintamani in the Eastern Highlands
- Pura Goa Lawah (Bat Cave Temple), located on the main road near Padangbai in East Bali
- Pura Andakasa (Andakasa Temple), located on the summit of Mount Andakasa
- Pura Puncak Mangu (Puncak Mangu Temple), located on the top of Mount Catur, 2096 meter above the sea level
- Pura Pusering Jagat (Pusering Jagat Temple), located in the center of Bali, close to Gianyar city.
Additional Information 1: Batur lake is a very important water supply for plenty of rice fields in the Gianyar, Klungkung and Bangli regency.